Friday, September 9, 2011

Back to school....again

A post containing pictures of backpacks and buses can only mean one thing: summer vacation is over!! Don't get me wrong, I like the summertime. I love sitting out in the sun, breaking out the barbeque, and hearing the kids splash around in the pool. But to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of any of that going on around here this summer. We've had to deal with a tough situation the past couple of months and I think it just kind of left some bad vibes hanging around us. The start of school is giving us something familiar and comforting that I hope will help us get back to normal around here. Time to get back on track!

The first day of the new year was a pretty cheery morning in our house. The boys were SO ready to start school this year. Logan was dressed and ready to go before I was even out of bed. He wasn't too happy that I made him change into a nice pair of clean new jeans instead of letting him wear the shorts that he had pulled out of his hamper from the day before. Brandon insisted on wearing his new jacket even though I told him it was going to still be hot outside. He wanted to show it off and couldn't be swayed back to logic.


Brandon is now a 5th grader, which means this is his last year as an elementary student. I say it every year, but I still can't believe how fast he has grown up. As cliche as it sounds, it really does feel like just yesterday he was starting kindergarten.


Now that Logan is in the 1st grade he will be going to school everyday. "Except for weekends" he likes to remind me. He's pretty excited that he's no longer "low man on the totempole".


They always want a picture of their backpacks. I had to talk Logan into getting his. Every backpack he wanted cost too much or was the preschool size that's too small for him. But now he LOVES it. He calls it his "skateboarder backpack". Notice how Brandon's is slung over one shoulder? That's the cool way to wear it now I guess. He was saying how his supplies in his bag were too heavy so I suggested  that he wear it the right way and it would be easier to carry. I thought his eyes were going to shoot daggers at me for even suggesting it.

As they headed off to the bus stop, Logan ran and Brandon yelled "You don't need to RUN, Logan! Calm down." I guess running to the bus stop isn't cool. Strutting appears to be the more mature way to get there.

As we saw the bus coming down the road I brought out my camera and Brandon started pleading for me to not take pictures of them getting on the bus. It broke my heart but it was bound to happen one day. I did snap one though and you can see him yelling at me to stop. Next year for middle school I'm going to have to hide in the bushes to get a decent shot.

The big boys weren't the only ones to start school on Wednesday. Sawyer started to go to his weekly Terrific Twos class at Logan's old preschool. He was SO excited to go play. He cried when the boys got on the bus because he knew he was going to school too and he didn't undertand why HE didn't get to ride with them. When it was finally time to take him, he could hardly contain himself. It was tough to try and get a picture of him standing still. He didn't want to take pictures, he just wanted to get in the van and GO!


When the big boys got home from school later that afternoon, they had the biggest smiles on their faces. Logan came running toward me at full speed yelling "BEST. DAY. EVER!!" They were both talking at full speed telling me all about their day. I'm really praying that this year goes well for all of them. And praise God that this dreary summer is over!

No comments: