Thursday, December 11, 2008

Getting ready for Christmas

This year has gone by so fast and I can't believe it's Christmas already. I feel like next year with the new baby is going to speed by even faster. These past few months we have slowed down our schedules a little bit. We've spent more lazy weekends together as a family and it's been very nice.

But alas, the Christmas season is upon us and we're getting full swing into it. Last weekend we had a full 3 days of Christmas festivities. On Friday night we took the boys to Zoolights at the Point Defiance Zoo. We go every year and decided to do it early this season since the weather was still pretty favorable. I decided against bringing my camera with us. I figured that I've got tons of pictures of the lights over the years, so why would I need more. Mistake. As soon as we got there, just as Chris predicted, I wanted my camera. So we might be making another trip to Zoolights this year, WITH the camera.

On Saturday afternoon Brandon's boy scout troop was in the Santa Parade again. It was a beautiful day to be in downtown Sumner. Chris, Logan, and I watched the parade while we waited for Brandon to come by.




His troop was the very last group to pass before Santa made his grand appearance. When they approached Brandon didn't look happy at all. We asked him when it was over why he looked so sad and he said that he was really bored. Last year the boys got to ride in the back of an old truck so it was a little more fun than this year when they just got to walk down the street. But as soon as he spotted us, he got a big grin on his face and started waving like crazy.


Then on Sunday morning, before heading to Church, we went down to the Christmas tree farm. We've been going to the same place for 5 years. They have the best trees and the greatest prices. I don't understand why people have fake trees. Part of the fun for us is getting to go down, pick out a tree, and watch as Daddy gets down on his hands and knees in the mud to cut it down. I didn't bring my camera this year to the tree farm either. It was POURING down rain that morning and I didn't want to risk anything happening to it. We picked a tree as fast as we could, cut it down, threw it in the back of the truck, and then headed off to Starbuck's before church started.

Later in the evening, we set the tree up. I put on the lights and gumdrop garland and then Chris and the boys put up the rest of the ornaments. Every year we try and buy a family ornament at the mall. Last years was my favorite yet.

I can't wait to go down and pick out our ornament for this year. It's was nice to finally have the tree up. This Christmas is going to be really hard for us, as I'm sure it's going to be for most people. Hard times make for a lack of spirit. I've been struggling to get into the "mood" this year. So having the tree finally put into place, the stockings hung, and the lights put up outside, is really helping.

We're trying to make this year's Christmas more about family time and celebrating together than about the "stuff". It's working out nicely for us so far. This will be our last Christmas with just the 4 of us, so we're trying to make it special for the boys. I just hope they remember it.

No comments: