Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sawyer's 1st birthday party, complete with a trip to the ER

The theme for Sawyer's party was "baby farm animals". For the food, I decided on breakfast. Yes, breakfast. Pancakes, hasbrowns, bacon, etc, etc. I was a little worried that people would think it was kind of strange, but let me tell you, that food got eaten faster than any other party we've ever had. So I think everybody liked it. I stayed up until 1am the night before making the cake. It was a butter pecan cake with chocolate filling and homemade buttercream icing. Needless to say, a very sweet concoction. I made the little barn out of a soda box and covered it with frosting. The idea for the cake came to me only hours before I sat down to make it, so I had to use what was available. It wasn't edible, but it was still adorable!

And after the trial run with the cake on his birthday a few days before, he knew what to do when his cake got put in front of him.

When Sawyer woke up the morning of the party, you could tell something was wrong. He had a fever on and off all day long. He was very clingy and lethargic. So he pretty much sat in laps for the entire party. But I don't think the people that were holding him minded all that much. Cuddling with Sawyer is a treat. So when it came time to open presents, Daddy held him and helped him along.

He got a ton of great toys from everybody that came. Grandpa Harold and Grandma Shellie got him "Sawyer the Saw"! His nickname is Saw so it was a very fitting present.

Probably Sawyer's favorite gift that he opened though, was a box of wooden spoons from Auntie. Yes, wooden spoons. His eyes got all big and you could tell he was excited. It was the only gift that he actually came out of his little zombie like state to get excited over. Sawyer loves him some spoons!

After the party was over, and all of the guests had gone, Sawyer started to get worse. His fever was skyrocketing out of control. He woke up from a late nap and it was 102. I didn't want to give him anymore Tylenol because it hadn't been very long since his last dose, so instead I decided to give him a cool bath. As he was standing next to the tub waiting to get in he started shaking and I told Chris that it looked like he was having a seizure. Later I found out that it was more than likely what had happened. Babies can have little seizures if their body temperature is changed too fast. So when I checked him again and he was at 104, Chris took him to the hospital. When they got there they couldn't find anything immediatly wrong with him, so a chest x-ray was ordered. With that they found that he had a couple of little patches in one of his lungs that were the begining of pneumonia. They started him on medication, and now a week and a half later, he's finally back to his old self.

Thanks to everybody that came up and helped us celebrate. It was a very interesting first birthday to say the least. Hopefully next year won't be filled with the pneumonia and Sawyer will be able to just enjoy himself. Then maybe we won't get sad little miserable birthday boy pictures like this one......

No comments: