Thursday, August 26, 2010

Scavenger hunt

So today the boys were getting bored and started picking at each other and fighting. That's a pretty common occurance around here. With the end of summer quickly approaching they've been getting more and more antsy as the day wears on. So when I couldn't take any more of little boys screaming through the house and whining about each other, I had a genius idea. I grabbed a piece of paper and started writing down a list of ten things for them to find outside on a scavenger hunt. I gave them my camera and told them to take pictures of their treasures and check off the list as they went along. They LOVED the idea. They agreed to let Brandon be in charge of the list and Logan the camera, and off they went.

In about 20 minutes they found all but two things on the list. They were so excited to show me the pictures of their treasures. And can I just point out, that with the exception of the last picture, which I snapped myself, Logan took all of these photos. He LOVES to take pictures. I think I might have a little protege on my hands.

1. A red rock (more of a rock with reddish on it, but it works)


2. Five red berries


3. A stick shaped like a Y


4. A shell. I was thinking more along the lines of a shell from a nut, but they found......a shell.


5. Heart shaped rock


6. A yellow leaf


7. A face (Brandon made sure to point out that it was a vampire face)


8. Ten potato bugs. This was one they didn't complete. They searched for some, but gave up after about 30 seconds and decided against that one all together.

9. A blue flower. This was the other item that they had trouble with. They found every other color of flower, but no luck with a blue one.

10. A snake. Now I have to admit that I honestly didn't expect them to find a snake. I just put it on the list in hopes that they would search for awhile and it would cause them to spend more time outside working together. But much to my surprise........they found one, right on our front walkway.

I'm so proud of the boys for doing such a great job working together. I think we're going to have to do this more often. They had a lot of fun and were very proud of themselves.

No comments: