Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ridin' the Duck

In June Brandon participated in a cancer walk in Seattle with Grandma Shellie. After they were done they stumbled on the Ride The Ducks tour and decided to try it out. They had so much fun that Grandma wanted to take our whole family on the tour. So in August we planned a day in Seattle. Our first stop was at Ride The Ducks.

For anybody that doesn't know what that is you can check it out here. The quick description though: an amphibious vehilce tour around the city and finished off with a drive straight into Lake Union. It's a total tourist attraction and I don't think that we take enough advantage of things like that in Seattle as residents of this area. There are so many touristy things that I've always wanted to do in the city but for some reason have never gotten around to. Ride The Ducks has always been something at the top of my list, so I was so excited to finally get to experience it. Apparently I wasn't the only one either, because probably about 2/3 of the people on the tour were all from the greater Puget Sound area.

Practically the entire time the driver is blasting music and trying to get everybody to dance in between throwing out little quips and factoids about the city. It's hard to resist the urge to bust a move. Just ask Chris. He really let loose during YMCA.

 We rode down along the waterfront,

through Pioneer square and down 1st Ave,

past Pike Place, and every other Seattle attraction you can think of. Eventually we made our way through Fremont and down to the docks on Lake Union. Then came the part that I was nervous about....the drive into the water.

I'm not a fan of boats or water in general. Never have been. Once my dad took us out onto Lake Washington on his little fishing boat and I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack. I will admit though that being on the duck in water wasn't all that bad. I occupied my time with taking pictures and pointing out landmarks to Brandon.


It was such a gorgeous day and there were plenty of sights to see out in the lake. There were kayakers, paddle boarders, even a cop cruising around on a little police boat.



We saw all kinds of houseboats, but my favorite was a little tugboat looking house that reminded me of the one that Mickey Mouse drove in Steamboat Willie. It was adorable.

Sawyer loved when we were in the water. I was so nervous he was going to fall out though. He was dancing along with the music during the tour and loved every second of the trip.




Before you get on the duck you're given a quacker horn to blow during the ride. Logan loved his quacker. Not many people on the ride blew theirs during the tour, but Logan sure did.

I'm so thankful to Grandma Shellie for taking us on the Ride The Ducks tour. It was a great time, and it kicked off a fun filled day in the city.

No comments: